Where College Students May Register

A college or university student may register and vote in the county where they go to school if the student is physically present in the school community and does not intend to return to his or her former home after graduation. However, if the student intends to return to their former home after graduation, then they should remain registered in their hometown.

If the student does not know where he or she will go after college, they may register in their college community or remain registered at home. If a student registers at his or her school address, that registration cancels any previous registration.

During Early Voting

Individuals who are not registered to vote in a county may register at early voting sites during the early voting period. After registering, the newly registered voter can immediately vote at that same site. This process is called “same-day registration.”

Same-day registrants must attest to their eligibility and provide proof of where they live. A voter attests to their eligibility by completing and signing the North Carolina voter registration application (available in English or Spanish). Registering at an early voting site during the early voting period requires voters to provide proof of residence. Proof of residence includes any of the following documents that includes the voter’s current address:

  • North Carolina driver’s license.
  • Other photo identification issued by a government agency, provided that the card includes the voter’s current name and address.
  • A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document showing the voter’s name and address.
  • For students living on campus, a document from an educational institution with the student’s name and on-campus housing address. Or, an educational institution may provide the county board of elections a list of students residing in particular campus housing, which will suffice if a student living in campus housing shows a valid student photo identification card.

For more information about same-day registration, visit Register in Person During Early Voting.