How to Register
On this page, find the voter registration deadline and learn about the ways to register to vote. For voter qualifications, visit Who Can Register. If you need information about making changes to your existing voter registration, please see Updating Registration.
Voter Registration Deadline
The voter registration deadline is April 22, 2022, for the statewide primary on May 17, 2022. In North Carolina, the civilian voter registration deadline is 25 days before Election Day. Find additional information at Voter Registration Deadlines.
If you miss the registration deadline, you may be eligible to register and vote or make changes to your voter registration (anything other than party affiliation) and vote during the early voting period. Learn more at Register in Person During Early Voting.
For information about the 2022 statewide primary, visit Upcoming Election.
Ways to Register to Vote
If you’re eligible to register to vote, North Carolina offers two primary ways to register:
- Online or in person at the DMV.
- Use N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) services. Existing DMV customers may submit a voter registration application online. Learn more at Complete Your Registration Online Through the DMV.
- Note: Certain agencies, including the DMV, are required to offer voter registration services. For more information, visit the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) page.
- By mail.
- Fill out the English N.C. Voter Registration Application (fillable PDF) or the Spanish N.C. Voter Registration Application (fillable PDF) and submit it by mail. Learn more at Complete Your Registration by Mail.
- Note: The federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) allows certain voters an expedited means to register and vote by mail-in ballot. Find more information at Military and Overseas Voting.