How to Register
2021 Voter Registration Deadlines
|Voter Registration Deadline|
|Sept. 10, 2021: Civilian voter registration deadline for municipal elections on Oct. 5, 2021.|
|Oct. 8, 2021: Civilian voter registration deadline for municipal elections on Nov. 2, 2021.|
The regular deadline to register to vote in North Carolina is 25 days before an election. Find details at Voter Registration Deadlines. For information about the 2021 municipal elections, visit Upcoming Election.
Register to Vote
Once you’ve determined you’re someone who can register to vote, there are two primary methods available to apply for voter registration in North Carolina:
- Online or in person at the DMV.
- Use N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) services. Existing DMV customers may submit a voter registration application online. Learn more at Complete Your Registration Online Through the DMV.
- Select the option to register to vote while applying for a vehicle license or ID.
- Note: Certain agencies, including the DMV, are required to offer voter registration services. For more information, visit the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) page.
- By mail.
- Fill out the English N.C. Voter Registration Application (fillable PDF) or the Spanish N.C. Voter Registration Application (fillable PDF) and submit it by mail. Learn more at Complete Your Registration by Mail.
- Note: The federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) allows certain voters an expedited means to register and vote by mail-in ballot. Find more information at Military and Overseas Voting.
Did You Miss the Deadline?
After the regular voter registration deadline, would-be voters may same-day register and vote in person during the early voting period. Learn more at Register in Person During Early Voting.