On this page, find details about registering to vote or updating your voter registration information by mail. To learn about registering to vote or updating your registration online, visit Complete Your Registration Online Through the DMV. To find information about all the ways to register to vote, see How to Register.
The voter registration deadline in North Carolina is 25 days before Election Day. This deadline is different for military and overseas citizens. Learn more at Voter Registration Deadlines.
Here are the voter registration deadlines for the 2024 elections in North Carolina:
- Feb. 9, 2024, for the primary election on March 5, 2024.
- Oct. 11, 2024, for the general election on Nov. 5, 2024.
For details about the 2024 elections, visit Upcoming Election.
If you miss the registration deadline, you may be eligible to register and vote or make changes to your voter registration (anything other than party affiliation) and vote during the early voting period. Learn more at Register in Person During Early Voting.
Uses for the Mail-in Application
If you are a North Carolina resident, you may use the voter registration application to:
- Register to vote.
- Update your name.
- Update your address.
- Update your party affiliation.
How to Submit Your Application
- Download and complete the appropriate voter registration application. Make sure to complete all required fields.
- Print the application.
- Sign the application (ink to paper). If you are a new registrant, you must submit the original application by mail or in person. If you are an existing registrant in the county and are using the form to update your information, you may also fax or email the signed form.
- Mail the form to your county board of elections.
Failure to complete a required field will slow your registration.
If the application is complete and you meet all qualifications to vote, the county board of elections will mail you a voter registration card. This mailing is non-forwardable and serves to verify your address. If the U.S. Postal Service returns a card as undeliverable, a second mailing will be sent. If the second mailing is returned as undeliverable, the voter registration will be denied.
If you submit your application form before the voter registration deadline for the next election, you should receive your voter registration card within two weeks. Contact your county board of elections if you do not receive your voter registration card.