Are you ready to file? On this page, download a notice of candidacy form and find information about how and where to file. See Filing for Candidacy for additional requirements. Find election details and upcoming filing periods at Running for Office. Candidates must pay the filing fee when they file a notice of candidacy. Find more information at Filing Fees.
How to File
Any person seeking to become a candidate must file the appropriate notice of candidacy form*:
- 2023 General Notice of Candidacy Form (fillable PDF)
- 2023 General Notice of Candidacy Form (non-fillable PDF)
- 2023 Municipal Notice of Candidacy Form (fillable PDF)
- 2023 Municipal Notice of Candidacy Form (non-fillable PDF)
Download the Sample Notice of Candidacy (PDF) for an example of how to fill out the form.
*Only the candidate may file the notice of candidacy and pay the filing fee in person at the appropriate board of elections. Alternatively, a candidate may have the candidate’s signature on the notice of candidacy acknowledged and certified by an officer authorized to take acknowledgments and administer oaths, in which case the candidate may mail or deliver by commercial courier service the candidate’s notice of candidacy to the appropriate board of elections. Please note that the candidate is not considered to have filed their mailed notice of candidacy until the appropriate board of elections receives it, provided it was before the end of the filing period.
Where to File
Candidates for the following office types must file their notice of candidacy with the State Board of Elections:
- National offices
- State offices
- Superior court judge
- District court judge
- District attorney
Candidates for North Carolina State Senator, State House Representative, and all county and local offices must file their notice of candidacy with their county board of elections.
Mailing Your Notice of Candidacy
Please use the following address for USPS when mailing your notice of candidacy:
PO Box 27255
Raleigh NC 27611-7255
Notices sent by FedEx or UPS overnight will require a physical address:
430 N Salisbury St
6400 Mail Service Center
Raleigh NC 27603-1362
How to Fill out the Name on the Ballot
1. A candidate may use either their first or middle name before the last name (no nickname affidavit necessary).
- George Smith
- Eugene Smith
2. A candidate may abbreviate using the first letter of either his first or middle name (but not last name) (no nickname affidavit necessary).
3. A candidate may choose to include a suffix (no nickname affidavit necessary).
4. The ONLY title allowed along with a name is Mr./Mrs./Miss/Ms.
5. If a nickname affidavit is completed, the nickname must either be used in place of the first or middle name, or following the first/middle name in parenthesis. Nicknames that indicate rank, status or position are prohibited. Any shortening of a name as it appears in the voter record, other than abbreviation to the first letter, requires a nickname affidavit (such as “Dave” if the voter registration lists the first name as “David”).